January can be tough. We all know it because it’s the same every year. Christmas is over taking the delicious food, parties and lazy mornings in bed. Leaving large tummies and larger credit card bills. Oh yeah, and it’s freezing cold outside.
Alas, I’m here to lift our spirits with some simple ideas to give you peace of mind.
- REORGANISE ONE AREA OF YOUR HOME Focusing on one place such as the bedroom or lounge is easily achievable. My desk quickly becomes cluttered and dusty so I chose this as my area to make over. Moving some furniture around and throwing any junk away makes a huge difference and it feels really good.
- DITCH THE GYM Right now gyms are packed full of people trying to get fit as a new years resolution. I find a busy gym super stressful. It’s much nicer to work out at home. The lean machines have a you tube channel with great routines (and healthy recipes) to get you ripped. If you prefer a zen workout then go for yoga with Adriene. She just started a 31 day course called yoga revolution which I love.
- MAKE A JUICE OR SMOOTHIE A simple green juice is a great choice after your workout or first thing in the morning. If you prefer something a little sweeter and more filling then check out my skin boosting hyaluronic acid smoothie recipe.
If you follow these three tips I promise you will feel better about yourself with that inner feeling of ahhhhhhhh.
The selection in my forth and final gift guide can be found at online mecca Niche Beauty. Whilst many of their cult brands are gender neutral the store has a section dedicated to men. I’ve put together an eclectic mix of products that harness the power to help us look good and feel good. All of the items are perfectly giftable with options for stocking fillers.
The Michael Van Clarke No. 1 Brush has bendy bristles that gently de-tangle longer hair. If you have shorter hair like me I recommend this as a wonderful scalp massager. Sounds Crazy? Gently running this brush over your scalp in different directions for 30 seconds feels like a 15 minute neck and shoulder massage. Bargain! Keeko coconut oil pulling in morning mint. If you are new to oil pulling then I guarantee you will have cleaner and whiter teeth by adding this to your daily routine. It’s also known to be an ancient method of detoxing. Bring it on! Pure Elixir skin supplements. These tiny bad boys are infused with marine collagen, vitamin c + e, hyaluronic acid and tomato extract. Clinically proven to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, smooth and brighten the skin. Yes please! Tata Harper face moisturiser. This brand is completely natural and non-toxic. Yes, some skincare contains ingredients that are toxic. Tate Harper manufacture their products themselves in Vermont. In-house manufacturing allows small batches, produced often to ensure the products are fresh and of the highest quality. MINIMERGENCY KIT. The trusty tin contains 13 essentials, especially useful when traveling. There’s everything from shirt buttons to a safety pin, plaster and nail clippers. I had my own minimergency yesterday when I discovered a small hole in one of my bed pillows. I used the needle and thread from my kit to quickly sew up the hole. Viola! Sleeping crisis averted.
Clinique is the go-to brand for anyone with allergies or sensitivity from fragrance. The FOR MEN range is very good with slick packaging that sits nicely in the most stylish bathrooms. These are a great gifting option this Christmas.
Maximum Hydrator is an excellent cream that feels surprisingly lightweight in texture, a great option for all skin types, especially those with oily/shiny/dehydrated skin. I use this at night and it perks up my skin nicely, leaving me with brighter, plumper skin that feels incredibly soft. SPF 21 Moisturiser. I found this surprisingly nourishing for an SPF moisturiser. It leaves a nice sheen which is perfect if your skin can look dry or dull. Turnaround Revitalising Serum is rich in texture for a serum yet feels perfectly light on the skin. I use this morning and night (sometimes with a drop of oil when my skin needs it) it disappears instantly and works perfectly well with both the maximum hydrator or SPF 21 moisturiser. Anti-Fatigue Eye Gel. This is a savior during the winter as I wake up with puffy eyes from the central heating. It’s applied with a metal roller which feels cold around the eyes. This feels really good first thing in the morning and the inclusion of caffeine helps wake up and de-puff the delicate skin around your eyes, leaving a light hydration as you roll away.
Clinique is available online and in department stores worldwide.
Kale season runs from mid-summer to December, however kale leaves grow sweeter after the frost making now the best time to eat it. Green leafy vegetables are beyond good for us, but we know this already so I won’t harp on. I will simply list 5 known benefits below to remind you why you want some kale right now. Plus a tasty recipe to inspire you with ways to eat it.
- Kale is one of the healthiest foods on the planet. So, if you are going to eat any veg then this should be top of the list.
- It fights cancer. High levels of glucosinolates help eliminate carcinogens from the body and stimulate the self-destruction of cancer cells.
- Your skin loves kale! The generous amount of antioxidants make this a smart choice for everyone. Because who doesn’t want better skin?
- Anti-inflammatory. Disease cannot survive unless there is inflammation in the body. Alkaline foods are our best friend and they also promote younger looking skin.
- Perhaps one of the more unexpected benefits, kale is high in calcium.
GENIUS KALE SALAD RECIPE
For all ingredients and a step by step for this recipe head over to one of my favourite food blogs 101 COOKBOOKS